Escuela Mill Creek serves the students and parents south of the river and Millwoods. The district will provide busing for students within our areas, that are outside of the maximum walking distance. The school is vibrant with the many different cultures that have come together for the common purpose of learning Spanish.
International Spanish Academy
Escuela Mill Creek School is a designated International Spanish Academy. Escuela Mill Creek School is the first school in Alberta to receive this designation from the education ministry in the government of Spain. Escuela Mill Creek School is unique in that all students are enroled in the Spanish Bilingual Progam. We have recently grown to fill our school's capacity of 350 students.
The Spanish Bilingual Program operates where half of instruction is in Spanish and half of the instruction is in English. The subjects that are taught in Spanish are Spanish Language Arts, Math, Health, Art, and Physical Education. The subjects that are taught in English are English Language Arts, Science, and Social Studies.
Why Learn Spanish?
- In the Americas (outside NAFTA) Canada exports nearly $6 billion in goods and commercial services annually.
- Mexico is Canada’ 4th largest trading partner.
- Canada is the 2nd largest foreign investor in Chile.
- Exports to South America in 2000 grew 13% to over $3 billion.
- Canadian export growth of close to 20% was recorded to Chile, Colombia, Peru and Venezuela.
- Canada became a member of the Organization of American States (OAS) in 1990. Canadian relations with Latin America have been expanding and Canada has been part of the process to create a free trade zone in the Western Hemisphere.